STEVIAFIN®, SK SWEET®
Among the various sweeteners currently available, stevia, aspartame, acesulfame-K and sucralose belong to the group known as HIS (high-intensity sweeteners). In particular, the stevia sweetener, which is made from an extract of the stevia plant (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni), offers many advantages. High pH and temperature stability ensure a long shelf life and suitability for cooking, baking, and hot-vending applications.
Each HIS has a unique sweet taste profile, and there are many ways of adjusting a sweetener's profile so as to better approximate the taste of sucrose. One approach in Japan is to combine stevia sweetener with erythritol, and this blend is now recommended for many types of food and beverages, especially soft drinks.
NPI is one of the leading producers of stevia sweetener. We can supply many types of stevia sweetener such as extracts, and glycosylated stevia. We have JECFA-approved stevia sweeteners and GRAS-approved glycosylated stevia sweeteners for export.
<JECFA> We have two types of JECFA -approved stevia extracts(STEVIAFIN® HN5-J, STEVIAFIN® R-J2).These two types contain different percentages of Rebaudioside A.
<GRAS> Our Glucosylated stevia sweetener (SK SWEET® Z3) filed in the GRAS NOTFICATION INVENTORY (GRN000375): Glucosylated stevia sweetener is produced by enzymatic reaction. Compared to Rebaudiosaide A, "SK SWEET® Z3" has little bitterness or after taste. "SK SWEET® Z3" can be used in many types of food applications.We can also prepare expert advice based on our extensive experience and support to developers of new beverages.
Reference data : Sweetness curve of HIS
Benefits and features of Stevia sweetener
|Sweetness||Approx. 200 times greater than sugar||Nearly zero calorific value
Possible to reduce sweetener cost
|Synergistic effect with other sweeteners||Possible to produce sweetness similar to sugar with sugar alcohol||Mitigation of specific tastes
Intensification of sweetness
|Stability||Stable to heat and acid
|Superior processing suitability|
|Bioactivity||Low carious effect||Less possibility of tooth decay|
|Taste-adjusting effects||Masking stimulation||Milder taste|
|Physical effects||Raising the freezing point||Reducing delivery costs for ices/sherbets|
1) Conventional stevia extracts
- STEVIAFIN® Series
- STEVIAFIN® is a product that is water-extracted and contains highly purified sweet elements from stevia leaves and it keeps the original sweet elements of stevia. The sweetness of STEVIAFIN H (most highly purified product) is about 200 times greater that sugar. Potentially, it may reach 300 times higher due to the synergistic effect if a portion of sugar or high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is replaced with STEVIAFIN H. Consequently cost savings can be expected.
- Granule products are also available.
- SLC Series
- The SLC series combines stevia and licorice extracts. Masking a salty taste is possible so that it is suitable for salty foods such as pickles.
2) Enzymatic Reacted Stevia Sweetener (less bitterness)
- SK SWEET® Series
- SK SWEET® is glycosylated (glucose added) stevia sweetener using an enzymatic reaction. By controlling the amount of added glucose, this unique product tastes a lot like sugar given the decreased bitterness. SK SWEET® can be used for beverages or confections that conventional stevia sweeteners are not suitable for.
- Diagram of stevia products
|Trans-glycosylation grades||Sugar-chain adjusted grades|
SK SWEET G
SK SWEET Z3
Uses and purpose
|STEVIAFIN H||SK SWEET||SK SWEET Z3||SK SWEET FZ||SK SWEET GRA||Purpose|
|Pickles||○||Cost saving/improves texture|
|Seafood Products||○||Cost saving/improves physical properties|
|Candy||○||○||Reducing calorific value|
|Chewing gum||○||○||Reducing calorific value/maintaining sweetness|
|Table top sweetener||○||○||○||○||Reducing calorific value/adjusting sweetness|
|Ices/sherbets||○||○||○||○||Reducing calorific value/anti depression of freezing point|
|Yoghurt||○||○||○||○||Reducing calorific value/softening acidity|
|Beverage||○||○||○||○||Reducing calorific value|
It is possible to create various types of sweetness through synergies with other sweeteners.
Stevia sweetener can mask bitterness or other undesirable tastes derived from functional materials.
* Regarding the manufacturing of SK sweet-type products, in our old brochure we described Patent No. 1873090. This patent has now expired.
Chemical Sales Dept.Ⅱ